Saturday, March 17, 2007

brown sugar & fig

"isn't it magic how your fuck up friends get forgiven minute by minute but you don't forget a god damn thing i ever did?!"
"This isn't a god damn thing, you... you..."
"come on, try to say something without swearing... i dare you to!"
he dug his thick finger tips into his face to suppress whatever he was about to spew at me.
"You know how desensitized i am to being in the dog house with you? it's meaningless! it's so fucking arbitrary that there's no point in trying to figure out what i did. i offended you in some horrible way... all this shit that you never let go that i never think was so bad..."
he sat back in the kitchen chair and looked at me with sleepy eyes. "I think we're having it out over something from before..."
"Say again?"
"I think we have latent arguments. we never fight it out when the moment's there... so it just gets delayed until something else sets it up."
"oo, that's a good call... I still stand by my original statement that I, I just can't GIVE a shit anymore when you're mad. I never really feel like I leave your radius of Shit Zone: population me."
He laughed a little and looked down at a humming cell clipped to his belt. "Can I take a rain cheque on having it out with you? you know, duty calls."
"Duty calls a lot these days huh?"
"When duty calls my name I don't have to think about this shit. Stay out of this fight with Lisle, it's our divorce, not everyone elses."
"Just trying to be an impartial third party Greg. I fully understand how it might have looked, but, come on. I'm not the gay one fucking the straight one, you know what I mean?"
He smirked at my true, albeit fucked up observation.
"If her goddamned piece of shit lawyer calls you again, DON'T TALK TO THEM. All I ask." He was flipping through the call display on his cell. I have to admit that he went out of his way to meet me in person and threaten me for talking to his ex wife's lawyer. yeah yeah, i know I'd freak too, but Greg was right. We always seemed pissed off at each other over something else. I guess that's the side effect of having your cousin grow up with you... You know that you're never getting rid of each other, but damn you're sick of their bullshit since you've seen it evolve over 30-some years.
"No talky-talk. Got it. Jesus, that's what I get for answering the phone and not screening."
"Alright, just... just I couldn't take it if you...."
"I"M NOT SIDING WITH HER! Out. You have some crisis unfolding at work you have to attend to." He lifted a finger with a puzzled look of gosh, how did you know there was trouble? GEE i dunno, lassie, how could i have figured that out?
"Psychic. I'm just psychic. Out. Call me if you want to play squash this week."
"Yeah yeah... Sorry I'll talk to you later."
"Send me an email, I'll get my receptionist to reply A-SAP."

No comments: