Sunday, February 11, 2007

revenge of the mooninites

i sat out on the front stoop having a cigarette. it was sunny but not that obnoxiously bright kind that kept me inside and hissing like a vampire. josie sat on the bottom landing cross-legged flipping though a magazine with a bandaged hand. she let smokey mouthfuls escape in thick puffs and occasionally reached for a coffee.
the soft pounding of feet on sidwalk came around the corner and up the driveway. Anthony had been out for a run and hadn't expected to see us up so early. he was lightly out of breath but certainly wasn't on the verge of collapse.
"You two are up early!"
"We just got in 20 minutes ago."
"Oh, that's not nearly as impressive. Wow, your coffee smells amazing... give that to me."
He stepped over Josie to get closer to my hand reaching out. "That's divine. Let me have..."
"Wait!"
"Ugaahh! That's full of booze!"
"Tried to warn you... pretty good tho."
"God I'm going to puke... it's 9AM and you're still drinking?"
"Just a tying things off before I find the desire to sleep."
He looked down at Josie who was doing her best to ignore him.
"Should I ask about the hand?"
"We were playing Sailors Poker..."
"That being...?"
"Where you go between someones out spread fingers with a knife... and they loose when you..."
"Oh. Oh my god! you two are retarded! So you were drunk and tring to wield a knife on your friends hand?"
I held up my hand that had been curled around to grasp a cigarette. a torn red line sat neatly in the middle. "Josie was trying to play The Crucifixion with me so to keep it fair I got to play Sailors Poker."
"My instinct says that The Crucifixion is just Josie stabbing you in the middle of the hand with a knife."
"That would be correct. You win if you manage to stab the person in the foot when they're not paying attention."
"You're monsters... Let me through I need a shower."
"Maggie is probably still in there getting hosed off. Just don't be scared if she's wandering the halls nude."
Anthony quickly sat down on the stoop with me. "No thanks, I've ran into her naked before. I'll just sit tight until she comes out."
"Sure you don't want another sip... it's pretty good. Chai tea extract with dark roast coffee."
Sour little look. "No! It's too early."
"Suit yourself."

No comments: