Sunday, May 6, 2007

this actually happened...er, most of it

i walked up McCaullum at a fast pace. i had a hard look on my face to dissuade homeless people from trying to beg for a cigarette. i flipped down my suspenders and let them bounce off my tight jeans. my fred perry shirt was truly a bargain considering what they were originally trying to sell it for. I could see smoke rising up from the stoop. Pasha was probably already out there chain smoking. He was cooling his ass off on the cement steps with Bucky who panted softly but got worked into a froth when i made eye contact.
"Go get him..."
Buck took off and hopped around like a spazzy rabbit until i would stoop down to crush him in a hug.
"Don't pick him up Nay, he hurt his leg at the dog park today."
"Aw Bucky done gon' hurt hisself? Poor baby!"
"You're retarded with him."
"HE'S A BABY!" My raised voice sent him over the edge whimpering and dancing around trying to decide if he should roll over or try to jump up. The knapsack strap slid off my shoulder and I hunkered down to sit with Pasha. Bucky wiggled between us and looked at me with those big brown eyes that looked so happy even if it was a hot summer evening. Grabbing his snout I smooched the side of his face and lifted up his floppy ear to whisper, "You are a retard... But I love you... Yes you Buuuuucky.... Yes!"
"Oh gross. Just fucking make out with him already."
"calm down... your brain's gone rotten in the heat." I opened up my bag and pulled out a bottle of cheap white wine and a litre bottle of water to try and counteract the booze.
"Screw top I hope?"
"Fuck, it's not like we can't go back into your apartment and get a cork screw."
His fingers flickered for me to pass the bottle over. he snapped the seal open and took a long pull of the wine. he was stripped down to the waist with a towel rolled up beside him. I was over for a drink and to shave his head down to a manageable length. Before I started i settled into the deep cement stairs and leaned back. It was a busy little intersection when it was past 7pm. The static clopping of hooker shoes going back and fourth... Hurried steps of people trying to avoid their stare... and assorted queers, punks and art school drop outs hanging out windows or lounging on front steps to get out of the oppressive heat inside the apartments.
Swigging back some wine i cracked a few knuckles and looked over at Pasha.
"You look tired mate... Want me to do your hair now? Might cool you off a bit. Screw the top back on the booze, i don't want to be sucking back stubble all night."
He fanned out the towel over his shoulders and passed over the clippers. Real nice battery operated set that he had gotten in a pseudo divorce settlement with a hairdresser he had been living with. Snapping my fingers I got him to sit a few steps down in front of me. we both shared a cigarette as I went to work on slowly dragging the clippers over the top of his head. A cutsie straight neighbour walked past and looked a little freaked out at what must have looked like queer skinheads getting ready for a night out... Well, I was dressed like a skinhead but no one was touching my heavy layers of shaggy hair with clippers.
Frisking my hand over the puppy fuzz bristle on his head i told him I was done and reached down for the wine.
"Looks good man."
"Thanks... What do I owe you?"
"Nothing... Cable's out at home and sitting on McCallum is better than any fucking telly show."
A hooker brayed at a counterpart who was traipsing across the road to the fly by night convenience store. "Gemme a plastic bottle if you're gettin' me a drink so we can huff outta it after."
Pasha and I kept looking forward and said in unison, "NICE!" Bucky let out a muffled growl/woof as she walked past... Nothing scary, just a lot of air puffing out his lips as he wiggled closer to me. "Rowrrrff-ff-fff..."
"Good dawg, you tell that old hooker."
Pasha threw a thick hand on his neck and scratched under his collar. Buck was clearly in heaven sandwiched between two men even if he was hot under a thick fur coat.
A hoor spotted us across the road. "Whattre you faggots looking at?!"
We smirked and Pasha rubbed a hand down his nipple and nodded at her. She looked away disgusted and we had a nice laugh. It only gets better as the night goes on.... Pasha leaned over to give me a messy tongue kiss all over my ear to get me going.
"You're a pig."
"It's just the wine. Which is surprisingly good for a screw top."
"How did we go from semi-homeless queer kids to fags with full time jobs?"
"Don't feel bad, we're just as screwed up and horny as we were back then."
"Can't argue with that logic."

No comments: